BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cornell's President Calling for A National Suicide Dialogue

Young people in general are at a higher risk for completed suicide than adults over 25. Males age 15-24 are at particularly high risk for completed suicide because they usually choose more violent methods than females. You are correct that there is discourse needed on this important matter. We need to end the stigma that is placed upon suicidal feelings. Terms such as "stupid" and "crazy" need to be banished. This issue must be approached with compassion.

Regarding the term "stupid" being used for someone with suicidal intent, the majority of people who have suicidal feelings are actually of higher than average intelligence. Ill advised, yes. Stupid? Hardly.

To put my words into perspective, mood disorders run in my family. I have type II bipolar disorder and a history of para-suicides. One of my cousins had medication resistant depression and committed suicide when she was 41 years old. My son is dealing with clinical depression and anxiety. I know what it is like to be faced with stigma, even from medical professionals. I had one "angel of mercy" tell me that I was "a freak, and will always be a freak." Attitudes such as this are beyond counter-productive.

It is said that being crazy is doing the same thing that doesn't work over and over again in hopes that it will work this time. It is time to stop being crazy.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

3 comments:

Nessa said...

good idea.

Amanda said...

It is said that being crazy is doing the same thing that doesn't work over and over again in hopes that it will work this time. It is time to stop being crazy.

Best quote ever.

TheLastMistake 0R universempty said...

I got all the "bad" genes in my family. Bipolar I with major depressive episodes, OCD, addiction...you name it. I had ECT and my memory sucks more than ever as an after-effect. I have been medication resistant for a long time and am now starting a new regimen because I refuse to be shocked anymore! It ain't F'N fun!